Friday, June 16, 2017

Book Review: The Enchanted

 

Title: The Enchanted 

Author: Rene Denfeld

Genre: Contemporary Literature

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars 


What a wondrously different book. 

First I think it's important to know that this book is about death. The main setting is death row of a prison. Second it's interesting to note that author Rene Denfeld has worked on death row. There is an obvious link between Denfeld's own experience on death row and the characters in this book. 


While this book is about death it is not gruesome. It is instead a beautifully written study of how many of the injustices in our society land people in bad situations that just snowball into worse. 


You could easily write an English thesis, maybe even a doctorate, on the symbolism and what it all means in The Enchanted. I can honestly say I probably didn't get all the nuances of this book. Yet I did still enjoy it. 


This was a hard book for me to get into. I had to start it three times and was only successful when I was at home alone with zero distractions. Once I was in it however I didn't want to let go. So I rank it at 4 stars only because it's a bit pretentious and maybe more difficult to read than it needed to be. However it is without a doubt a unique format to try and expose some of our worlds injustices.

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

That sounds like a tough (but also very interesting) book to read. I'm glad to see you found another one you like after those recent flops!