Thursday, March 9, 2017

The Blood Key

Title : The Blood Key
Author: Vaun Murphrey
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

This could have been so much more. The Blood Key is bogged down with too much history, lore, paranormal happenings, secrets run amuck and liars who lie about lying that it's nearly impossible to follow the main story. Or even decide what is the main story. 

Each time I thought I had a handle on things some other weird, crazy, unnecessary wrench was thrown in the mix. I'm all for fast paced books but this was ridiculous. I think a whole trilogy exists in plot within this one 250pg book. 


The part that is most frustrating about the over extended plot and cast of characters is that the writing is pretty darn good. Vaun Murphrey has a clear, concise voice but just can't seem to focus enough on any one thing long enough for it to stick. 

I felt there was so much that could have been done with the story before any major paranormal happenings occurred. It would have been nice to get to know our characters a little better and feel like we have a solid foundation before everything goes crazy. 


Overall a disappointment for me. Maybe a future series when Murphrey has evolved and matured as an author I'd try her out again; but for now I won't continue this series. 


Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review. Don't believe me? Check out the other books I've had eARCs for that I gave great reviews to. I always give my opinion whether good or bad. :) 

No comments: