Monday, April 2, 2012

A Raven Finish!!! (and need opinions)

I'm excited to share that I finished the Raven piece on the weekend!

I very much enjoyed putting this piece together. It's not hard, but it does require diligent counting so you don't get off by one or two. To me it seems that the raven's beak is really squished into the letters (especially the d on pondered). What do you guys think?

This piece is The Raven by La-D-Da. I stitched it on 30ct Weeks Dye Works linen (Havana) with silks. (if you would like the specific numbers of my silks just let me know and I can share them, just don't have them beside me right now). The purple in the letter silk is showing up so nice with the flash of the camera, it's more muted in 'real life'.
So, I am considering this piece for competition this year in the Western Showcase at the local Calgary Stampede. I won 3rd in my division last year with my Needlemania piece... but here's my worry. Is this too 'dark' for competition? Will people be turned off by the subject of the pattern being the intro line from Edgar Allen Poe's, The Raven. See it's perfect for me and my man and will go up in our house (amazingly I think this is the first piece in years that won't be given away or donated) but I worry that others might not see it that way... so opinions?

I look forward to hearing what you guys think about the raven beak and subject matter here. 

I've turned my attention to the cottages, as it's April 2 and I haven't gotten the March cottage done yet! lol. After that it will be back to Dragons for a bit (which is getting close to a page finish I promise) and the baby sampler (with a due date of end of May).

19 comments:

Meari said...

Hey Mel -- Congrats on finishing Raven. The beak looks a little crowded but not bad. I love Poe's poem, so I wouldn't think anything of entering it in the stampede. Go for it!

Denise said...

Love this piece. Still need to frame mine. Enter it! Most people like Poe.

Nancy M said...

I don't think the beak looks out of place or too close. And you should enter it, no matter that it's Poe! I have given up on trying to keep up with the cottages. It was bringing me down, so I've put April away and I'll start them up again when I "feel" the urge.

Vicky L said...

Raven came out gorgeous! and Yes enter it in the fair. Poe is a classical literature author and most people knows his works. Go for it!

McKenna C. said...

I think it looks wonderful! You should definitely enter it. :)

~McKenna

Robin said...

I didn't notice the beak until I read your concern. I think because it is darker than the lettering. Don't worry about people being turned off by Poe....I bet more credit to the famous line, than to the darker side of Poe. And good for you....keeping something for yourself!

mab3500 said...

I do think the beak looks a bit squished, however, it wasn't noticiable until you pointed it out ;). It is Beautiful!

Denise SA said...

I love your Raven and do not think the beak looks squashed. Go for the competition. At the moment I am stitching my March cottage I am not rushing as April' chart and supplies has not reached me yet

Veronica said...

Beautiful finish, Mel. I especially love the purple silk you used for the letters. It's lovely. What is it? I, for one, do not think that it's "too dark" but that's just me.

Hugs,
Veronica.

Diane (di) said...

I love it Mel... congratulations on your finish. I really like the purple fiber you used and Raven should definitely be entered in the competition. Gorgeous!

Katrien said...

Lovely finish, I also think you should enter the competition

dixiesamplar said...

Raven turned out so lovely! I don't think you will have any issues with the piece being "too dark" as most people know who Edgar Allen Poe is and will recognize his most famous poem...I say go for it...it is a great finish.

Pumpkin said...

Brilliant finish Mel! I'm not sure why you question putting it in the competition. If you like it, then that's all that matters :o)

LisaG said...

A lovely finish Mel :)

Jo said...

It looks great Mel, I think the beak looks fine, looks like he wants a little nibble of the wording. I'd enter it as not everyone likes cutie designs and it won't just be you that it appeals to.

Unknown said...

Looks great as is Mel!

Elena said...

Lovely finish!

Sandy In Montana said...

Great finish,Mel. Love The Raven.
Take Care & Happy Stitchin'
Hugs, Sandy

The Crafty Pixie said...

WOW! Looks Gorgeous! I love Poe and The Raven is my favorite poem! I have this particular pattern, but I haven't started stitching it yet. I was so happy to see it stitched and looking so beautiful on your blog! ^_^